What does a Study Abroad Personal Statement constitute? Most of the students looking to apply for study abroad programs aren’t aware of the importance of their personal statements because they think them to be mere words and nothing more whereas they have a lot to do with your admission in the college or university abroad.
Yu have to show your competence while delivering through quality words. This is not only about writing about yourself, your hobbies, your bio, your accomplishments and the goals but also it needs to reflect why you deserve admission in the said college.
The main issue that rests while writing a perfect Study Abroad Personal Statement is that you are not well aware of what to do and what not to do. You wonder if it’s like a high school assignment or a teamwork importance highlighting stuff. You are not going to write about the popular celebrities. Neither is you going to write about something special.
Your writing shouldn’t depict you are doing that for the very first time, although you are! You won’t ever like to see the admission officer laughing at what you have written. Literally, it happens some time. There are lots of issues that you might have to face while jotting down your personal statement for study abroad admission.
Dos of Study Abroad Personal Statement
Let us take a look at some of the things you need to keep in mind while writing your personal statement. Here they are:
- Throughout the paper, remain positive and show positivity.
- If you already have a study abroad experience, do count on it.
- Be honest and creative while writing about you.
- Brainstorming is really important at this stage. Create an outline of the major events of your life that would impact your studies abroad.
- Give a nice and attractive title to your statement.
- Make it sure you have addressed all of the questions asked in the application.
- Your essay should run smooth and thorough throughout.
- Tell the reader why you want to study abroad in that particular country as well as that particular discipline.
- Never skip mentioning your academic achievements, goals and accomplishments.
- Do follow the formatting guidelines that usually call for Times New Roman Font with the size of 12 and making it double spaced
Don’ts of Study Abroad Personal Statement
- Don’t write a generalized personal statement.
- Don’t skip proofreading and editing the statement for misspells errors and grammatical mistakes.
- Don’t ever support your admission abroad with your love for fun.
- Don’t present this statement till you haven’t got it proofread well.
- Don’t follow the negative approach.
- Don’t exceed the word count as prescribed.
- Don’t go for more and more contents. Rather keep with quality!
- Don’t try to get away from yourself.
- Don’t use jargons and thesaurus when you are not good at that.
- Don’t use over exaggerated sentences to impress the readers.
- Don’t be a show off.
These are the main dos and donts of Personal Statement that can help you come up with a perfect Study Abroad Personal Statement.