There are top universities in England 2020 that have remained in the top universities in the world 2020 for centuries. These universities in England are accepted the word over for the quality of education they provide. Each person interested in continuing their higher education, dream of being a part of a university in England; to walk the path that well known scholars walked a long time ago. The university rankings of these universities are given by the University League, The Sunday Times, The Times, The Daily Telegraph and The Financial Times using sophisticated methodologies.
Top Universities in England 2020 as per the University League Table
According to the League system the following universities are ranked among the top 10 for the year 2013-2014.
- No. 01 – University of Cambridge: Is a public university focused on research and is the 2nd oldest university in England. It has 31 colleges and 6 schools and boasts having 89 Nobel Laureates. It ranks 2nd in the world according to the QS World University rankings and 7th according to the Times Word University rankings.
- No. 02 – University of Oxford: It is the oldest university in England and offers degrees in most disciplines. 2nd in the Times University rankings and 5th in the QS rankings.
- No. 03 – London School of Economics and Political Sciences: Is a public research university focused on social sciences. It places 39th in the Times World University rankings.
- No. 04 – Imperial College London: Is also known as the Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine. It specializes in business as well. 8th in the Times World University rankings and 6th in the QS world rankings.
- No. 05 – University of Durham: Is the 3rd oldest university in England and specializes in research.
- No. 07 – University College London: The university was established to admit students from different religions and both genders. It is a public research university. It is placed 4th in the QS world rankings.
- No. 08 – University of Warwick: It is a research university with 4 faculties, namely; Arts, Medicine, Science and Social Science and was founded in 1965.
- No. 09 – University of Bath: It majors in Engineering and Technology and also deals with Management, Social Sciences, Humanities and Architecture with a strong emphasis on vocational education.
- No. 10 – University of Exeter: Offers degrees in many fields and deals in research.
(No. 06 – University of St. Andrews belongs to Scotland)
The methodology League University Rankings use to confer the top universities in England 2020
The league ranking takes 9 major criteria based on university activity in order to categorize the top universities in England. Each of the criteria are given a certain weightage and the ranks allocated. The criteria are;
- Student Satisfaction: Given a weight of 5.00 marks, measures the students’ view of the quality of education offered by the university.
- Research Assessment: Given a score of 4.00 marks, measures the average quality of research undertaken by the particular university.
- Entry Standards: Measures the average amount of marks required to enter the university. The marks allocated depend on each subject taught at the university.
- Student-Staff Ratio: Again the ratio depends on each subject and the marks are adjusted accordingly.
- Academic Services Spend: The amount a university spends on computer and library facilities, museums, observatories and galleries is divided by the number of students to get a value. This value varies from university to university and is adjusted to give the scores.
- Facilities Spend: The amount a university spends on facilities for students such as health, sports and counseling is divided by the number of students. This varies according to the university and therefore has to be adjusted for the final result.
- Good Honors: Has a maximum score of 100.00. This is given as the percentage of students that receive 1st or upper 2nd class honors passes. It is worthwhile to note that the passes depend greatly on the individual institution.
- Graduate Prospects: Is given a maximum score of 100.00. It gives a measure of the employability of the students that graduate from a university.
- Completion: Is given a maximum score of 100.00. It denotes the percentage of students that complete the degree.
The data for the league table is obtained by The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).
The top universities in England 2020 are ranked for a student to be able to gain an insight to what is on offer. However the final decision is with the student. It is an honor to study in one of the top universities in England 2020 as it has a worldwide acceptance.